Zimmermania

Friday, September 22, 2006

I jumped the gun.

Having no small and portable projects on the go makes me an unhappy knitter so although I know the KAL doesn't officially start until the 23rd I started an EZ project. This is the first of a pair of Sideways Mystery Mitts from Knitting Around. Now that the seasons have turned from "road construction" to winter as they do in Toronto, my little guy needs something to keep his chubby hands toasty. I knit this one from some leftovers of fingering weight yarn, Lanett Superwash, I had used for some socks. They're still going to be big on him but he'll grow into them. I left some live stitches when I was doing the bind off and I'm using them to knit a bunch of i-cord so I can loop them through his coat so they don't get lost.

These were knit on faith that the Goddess of knitting knew what she was doing because until you're 3/4 of the way through it didn't look like anything that could be mistaken for a mitten at all, but in the end it was an interesting knit and I'm excited to start the second one.

(crossposted from my blog)

2 Comments:

  • This was one of projects I'd considered doing first for this KAL, but it looked like a lot of sewing up (relatively, for mittens I mean). I would've liked to see WIP pictures, but if you haven't started the mate yet... (hint hint). ;-)

    By Blogger ax174, at 12:33 PM  

  • It was a lot of finishing up, particularly given it's size but a lot of that had to do with the stripes. I used the different colours to get the mitts to match his coat so I had to seam each section with a different tail and weave in a lot of ends but solid colour ones would be a breeze to finish.

    By Blogger fibersnob, at 12:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home