Zimmermania

Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Baby Leggings help!

I need your sage advice, knitters. I have read, and reread and knit and frogged my attempts at a certain part of the baby leggings from the Knitter's Almanac, and I need help! Has anyone made the baby leggings with the booties part that can explain how they went together? Somehow an instep is made, then stitches are picked up... and after some knitting, things fold flat and are magically seamable at the sides to become booties. Unfortunately, I was never able to create something to fit human feet. Goat feet, maybe. Any more visual describers out there? How do they go together? How I wish a little scrawled drawing were in the almanac. I know I could just make the leggings end in socks, but it annoys me that I can't figure it out. Any advice?

4 Comments:

  • I have made the leggings several times and have had a fairly good result. Basically the instep is the top of the foot. She instructs one to make a flap of stockinette stitch with a couple of garter stitches on either side which makes up the top of the foot. Stitches are then picked up around the entire foot and the next 10 rows form the bottom of the foot. The last decreases are to shape the bootie over the toes and heel. I hope this helps. If you have any other questions, just let me know - the leggings are a favorite gift for new mommies!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:46 AM  

  • You work the instep flap as she describes, repeating both rows 10 times. Then pick up stitches along one side of the flap, knit around to the other side, pick up stitches along the other side of the flap, then keep knitting in the round for 10 rounds, doing the decreases as she describes on the last round. I do not pull the needles out to do the graft, I just put stitches for one side of the bootee on one needle, and the stitches for the other side on the other. Then I slip them off the needles one at a time as I graft them. The seam that you are closing runs up the center bottom of the foot, from heel to toe. Good luck!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:29 AM  

  • The structure is almost exactly the same as her Moccasin socks, which are pictured in both Knitter's Almanac and Knitting Around. The pictures might help you see where you're going...

    By Blogger Kate A., at 7:56 AM  

  • Thanks so much- these explanations do help!

    By Blogger constructobot, at 11:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home