Monday, November 13, 2006

Christmas Baby Surprise Jacket

Mom calls Thursday - I have a great idea, can you make something for the auction? (The school I went to has an auction every year as a fundraiser.) Sure, mom, when is it? November 18th.


The pattern is written for yarn at 6 stitches per inch, and the chenille knits up about 2.5 stitches to the inch. So I just figured out that it's about 42% of the pattern, and made all of the numbers 42% of what she has in the book. It worked very well, which was fortunate, as I had no time for errors.

I got the measurements for the bonnet from a baby pattern book and then just sort of made something up. It only took about an hour to make, and I think it looks pretty cute. I put an i-cord edge on every edge I could find, a la EZ, as well as a twisted cord for the bonnet ties.

Pattern: Baby Surprise Jacket from Knitting Workshop, and made up bonnet pattern
Yarn: Lion Brand Thick & Quick Chenille
(I am such a snob, I still can't believe I used this yarn and it actually came out nice.)
Needles: Size 10.5 bamboo circulars
Buttons from JoAnn
Time to make: About 8 hours total
Jacket Size: 20" around, 12" long
Bonnet: 13" around top, 5" deep

- nat


  • That is so clever! I get requests like that too - it's a good one to keep in mind.

    By Blogger Mary Beth, at 4:51 AM  

  • It turned out super cute.

    By Blogger sweetfigs, at 5:05 AM  

  • Very cute! Did you guys see that you are mentioned in an article about the Elizabeth Zimmerman Exhibition at UW Madison?


    "Her work still thrives on the Internet, where user groups like the "Zimmermaniacs" compulsively swap notes on all things EZ."

    By Blogger Amy, at 5:41 AM  

  • That is so sweet! I love the buttons!

    By Anonymous tiennie, at 1:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home