Zimmermania

Sunday, November 19, 2006

Mrs. Zimmerman's proportions...

Mrs. Zimmerman's proportions seem to be failing me. Or I'm failing them, either way I'm at an impass with my seamless saddle and would appreciate any suggestions.

I've joined my sleeves and knitted 1 inch. I'm ready for (and actually completed 4 rounds) my first rounds of decreases to consume the body down to my target number which happens to be 80 stitches. Of course, I didn't count first. If I had, I would have realized that low and behold, I already have my target number.

This is perplexing.

I'm assuming those first few rounds of decreases are necessary for proper shaping and that I can't simply jump to the sleeve consumption decreases.

I'm not quite sure what to do... I've measured my back three times and it's always the same at 17 inches. I'm on gauge so that's all correct, too.

I'm perfectly happy to rip back to the join and do a hybrid at this point, but I do really love the saddle construction.

Any ideas?

2 Comments:

  • Corbett!

    Lots of ideas...I just completed the saddle-shoulder myself.

    I took one of my favourite "set in sleeve" shirts to measure the "back" measurement (seam to seam)- and for me it was 14".

    If you want to do a double-check on your measurements - take a flexible tape and do the circumference of your upper body with arms - it should work out (remarkably) to your number of stitches plus the ease you've given yourself. If not then your back measurement may be off.

    Those first decreases do "start" the sleeve - so they are necessary - think the first few inches of a "flat" body pattern - where you cast off a few at the first row (the % for underarm), then you decrease on the sides for a few inches - making that nice curve - then you knit straight...till the shoulders.

    I graphed out mine on paper - just to "confirm" my shaping (etc) which I found helpful...If you're interested I could scan it and email it to you.

    betseydoodle.ca

    By Blogger one year from now....., at 7:45 AM  

  • Thanks, Betsey...

    I've got lots of options and hopefully by the end of the day, it'll all be good again.

    By Blogger corbett, at 10:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home