Zimmermania

Monday, November 27, 2006

Saddle...Down?

Hey there, Zimmermaniacs. I'm posting with a math question, and a deep and abiding need NOT to have done this seamless hybrid thing wrong. Help! (Edited to clarify: I'm knitting the seamless hybrid, not the saddle-shoulder sweater. It has raglan-ish shaping AND the saddle. Thus the "hybrid." Thanks!)

So I've joined the arms and body and have begun the clever decreases. I'm doing the s2 as if to k, k1, p2sso method every third round, like a good girl. I began with 56 sleeve stitches, as does EZ. At this rate, clipping off four sleeve and four body sts every 3rd round, I'm well on my way to the saddle. Except.

In the instructions, EZ has you decreasing your little heart out until you have 33 sleeve sts left. This, given the method I'm using, which SEEMS to be the suggested method, would be impossible to achieve. How does one get from 56 to 33 when one is decreasing by even numbers? Am I doing this wrong? Please help.

* Sorry no photo, but the only photo I can think of for this post is one of a desperate me, head in hand. You don't need to see that.

5 Comments:

  • I had math problems with my seamless saddle. I've found that there is a lot of flexibilitiy in the numbers. My suggestions is to go about the decreasing until you are close to your target number. That's what I did and it seems to be working.

    I have to admit the math really had me frustrated, too. This is my first sweater so I really didn't know what to expect. I'm within a day or so from finishing so we'll see.

    Hope this helps.

    By Blogger Corbett, at 8:01 AM  

  • Ummm - with the seamless saddle - you decrease 4 sts on each decrease row... The decreases you're doing sound to me more like "raglan" instead of seamless saddle.

    BUT

    - the first "set" of decreases are on the body side (none taken from the sleeve)

    - then the second "set" of decreases are taken from the sleeve side (none from body)

    (this for saddle shoulder - not hybrid)
    - then the third "set" of decreases are taken from the body (only a few)none to sleeve.

    - then next group is where you make the saddle - keeping the same amount of stitches for the saddle - you decrease off the body stitches - essentially horizontally.

    This picture of my saddle shoulder may illuminate the math.

    http://www.betseydoodle.ca/?attachment_id=152

    By Blogger Betsey, at 8:16 AM  

  • Ah- but I'm doing the seamless hybrid, not the seamless saddle. It does also have a saddle at the top. Thanks!

    By Blogger JulieFrick, at 8:36 AM  

  • Brooklyn Tweed did one.... it has photos... the shaping is virtually the same - up to (I'm guessing ) - about 1/2 way up the "second set" of decreases... where you stop knitting the back.

    Here's a link to his Hybrid with pics:
    http://brooklyntweed.blogspot.com/2006/08/seamless-hybrid_30.html

    By Blogger Betsey, at 9:23 AM  

  • Just go until you have 34 or 32, one stitch won't make any difference. Mine worked out just fine. :) Good luck!

    By Blogger nat, at 7:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home