Zimmermania

Sunday, December 03, 2006

Adult Surprise Jacket



I am overwhelmed by all the kind comments on my jacket, it's very much appreciated. In answer to the questions, I used the pattern from the book "The Opinionated Knitter" in that book EZ says that the jacket she knitted weighs 1lb 8oz and measures 44" round and 26" long mine weighs 1lb 9oz is 46" round and 26" long, I spun the yarn to approximately worsted weight and knitted with a gauge of 4st to 1" using addi circs 4.5mm 7US. The major problem I had was in following the pattern, I took off 3" of stitches either side for the neck, as instructions say, but given the width I needed this ended up making the neck too wide, but I did not realise this until I had finished the main part of the knitting, I picked up the stitches held for the neck and knitted another 2" each side, and then joined the edge to the front neck. I also think I should have cast on a little more loosely, I knit fairly tightly and there is a slight ridge where I picked up the sleeves stitches because the cast on edge was tight.

11 Comments:

  • What a beautiful jacket; the different colors work so well. I'm about to try the Baby SJ, with great trepidation, for my first great-nephew. You inspire me!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:27 AM  

  • It's gorgeous and looks fantastic on you!!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:51 AM  

  • Beautiful Coat! I totally much make that. I am interested in joining your KAL but can't seem to find where I need to click so I am just going to say it here. Can I join, Please?

    Marlyknits

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:49 PM  

  • Okay, I have a question. I am just recently (make sure you are sitting down) really began to understand who EZ was and why she is so important to the knitting world. I know what you are thinking...but don't...I am not a moron...just a little slow :-)

    My question is this...I am going to purchase my first of what I fear (not really but it sounds good) may be many EZ books. Which one should I get. Please leave me comments. Thx...

    Marlyknits

    P.S. Yes, I still want to join even though I didn't quite get EZ until recently. Let me find the error of my way's.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:55 PM  

  • Beautiful jacket. The colors are lovely and it looks great on you!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:26 PM  

  • A beautiful jacket, and such good colors on you. Kudos for spinning it yourself, too! What a great feeling it must be to be wearing it after so much work.

    By Blogger Jen, at 8:21 PM  

  • Your jacket is beautiful. By making the adjustments you did, you proved that there are no mistakes, only opportunities to be creative. Great job!

    By Blogger Nonna Rose, at 3:19 AM  

  • Marly:
    I would suggest "Knitting Without Tears" to start and then "Knitter's Almanac" Just my opinion.
    Ron

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:18 AM  

  • it looks great! and the yarn is wonderful as well. great job

    By Blogger j a r e d, at 8:33 AM  

  • Gorgeous colors - it's even better when it's being worn!! Lydia

    By Blogger Windansea, at 10:43 AM  

  • That is a beautiful jacket and it fits you so nicely. Good Job!!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home