Zimmermania

Wednesday, December 20, 2006

By the skin of my teeth...

Whew!!!! It's finished, and just in time to gift to my husband for Christmas. This was my first EZ project and quite a learning experience for me. It was a breeze until I got to the saddles and then I just did as I was told without trying to understand and lo' and behold, it turned out ok. I opted for the 1x1 ribbed neck. I thought my worsted weight yarn doubled up there would just be too bulky.


The back. I opted for the shirt yoke. My grafting was not flawless and my saddles feel a bit floopy. I think the saddles would fit the body better if there was some way you could skip a decrease every third row each side, but then what do you do with the live stitch from the body that you want to skip? I suppose it just can't be done...


The contrasting facing.

Thoughts: I don't believe I hit a home run with the sleeve length. I tried the sweater on this morning and it hits me about halfway down my hand. My husbands arms are shorter than mine so I'm hoping that the width of his chest and shoulders will take up some of the excess length, otherwise I will be snipping and picking the cuffs out since I knit the facing first, folded it and knitted it in with the cuff. I'm also not 100% sold on my yarn choice. I used Berroco Ultra Alpaca and I think it may possibly just have too much drape. I wish I had used something with a little more oompf. But, I love the clever construction and I have a bag of Rowan Felted Tweed on hold at my LYS that might just end up being another Seamless Hybrid. Next up? I really want to try that Wishbone Sweater with some Blue Sky Alpacas Bulky that has been languishing in the stash for way too long.....

11 Comments:

  • Oh please do the Felted Tweed one soon. Felted Tweed is one of my favourite yarns and I'm always looking for excuses to use it, so it would be handy to know how it works with this pattern. I like the colours you've used here.

    By Blogger Helen, at 8:43 AM  

  • I think that sweater is fabulous! I hope mine looks half as good!

    By Blogger nova, at 8:47 AM  

  • Looks terrific! And plenty of time to dry and get wrapped before Monday (Christmas!)See, it's only Wednesday, so you have p-len-ty of time!!!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:48 AM  

  • It looks wonderful! Congratulations on figuring it out!

    By Blogger Lori, at 11:11 AM  

  • Looks great! When I made this sweater, to avoid the floopieness every so often I would knit-or-purl-as-the-case-might-be two together when attaching the saddle--that accommodated the difference between stitch and row gauges. To my immense pleasure, my shirt yoke sweater is in The Opinionated Knitter (page 28)! I cannot believe that something I knit is in a book by EZ!!!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:46 AM  

  • love this color. it's a gorgeous green. great job! i can't wait to try one... once i find the perfect yarn.

    By Blogger Rebecca, at 12:15 PM  

  • Beautiful! I think it will be a great gift. Hope it fits the way you want!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:34 PM  

  • That looks great! I was especially pleased to see it and hear your comments re: the decreasing b/c I am in the middle of knitting a saddle-shoulder sweater myself and am nervous about the shoulders. The directions don't make a lot of sense right now and I'm just trusting it will all work out when I get there. I'm also working in a green alpaca -- this was so fun to see yours all finished and pretty!

    By Blogger Lydia, at 5:37 PM  

  • Your sweater is beautiful! I am just about done w/my hybrid "prototype!" Prototype because I messed up one side of the saddle...it is rounded not square!! and I ran out of yarn so it's being finished in a different color...a learning experience! Congratulations on your accomplishment.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:31 AM  

  • it's beautiful! so encouraging to see... hope mine turns out half as nice :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:23 AM  

  • The colour is fabulous, I think it looks great.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home