I can't lie- I've finished the sweater! I did take progress pics to amuse you all. Sheesh-I've never done, messed up, and redone something so much. For example, did sleeves in what I thought was clever ribbing, tried it on child, and arms looked like sausages. Rrip. I'm still considering ripping back the cuffs and reknitting them to make them smaller, but it's done enough for now.
First you see my (perceived) genius?
Sleeve gussets, avast! In the original pattern, where the sleeves are knit flat and then seamed, maybe one can fudge 14 stitches into nothingness, but with my sleeve in the round, I couldn't think of a better way. Plus, that gives more movement in the arm area and since I have a busy baby that seemed like a good idea.
Then... Icord border
Come on, it's ALL about that bright orange border. Though I weirdly had to go up 2 needle sizes to make it work, I'm pleased. Anyone else have luck with bordering garter stitch with Icord and being able to use the same needle size? Reading EZ's instructions, it did say to pick up one garter stitch "bump"- which I think means in effect one stitch horizontally for two rows vertically. Maybe her icording gauge was quite loose?
And now, I present- the sweater!
Pattern: Baby Sweater on 2 needles, from Knitter's Almanac
Yarn-random, tapestry yarn from a thrift store
Buttons- yummy gift from my sister
Needles- #8 circulars for body, #7 dpns for sleeves
Modifications: No lace pattern, sleeves done in the round on smaller needles, additional length in the sleeves, about an inch longer overall length. I-cord border added. I also started further along in the yoke, casting on 68 stitches instead of fifty, then increasing at a slower rate to get the same yoke depth. I tried the original around my daughter's neck and it was too small.
And of course, most importantly, the sweater on it's recipient.
Dad looks dubious, but baby says yaay!