Zimmermania

Monday, January 08, 2007

Garter GROWTH! Oh no.

Hi all. Thanks for the help on my Tomten hood. Now that I have a few rows of the hood knit, I tried it on and OH NO. The whole thing stretches so much--it stretches seriously 6 inches longer than its knitted measurements. I did not want a long sweater like this. My question: I haven't knit the sleeves yet. Will they bolster the whole thing and keep it from stretching so much or should I put it on, measure the stretch and rip back and knit it intentionally short, anticipating the stretch factor. Jen

edited to add: I know, I wouldn't want to give me the bad news either. I've abandoned this and decided to knit it again at a later date, but in seed stitch.

2 Comments:

  • Or, when you re-knit it, try garter stitch again but with a smaller needle -- perhaps several sizes smaller. This will make a firmer gauge.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:57 AM  

  • I also had the experience tha it was quite " floppy" until I knitted in the sleaves. After that it becomes really stabilized!

    By Blogger Marjotse, at 11:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home