Zimmermania

Saturday, February 17, 2007

I've got this friend ..

My blogless friend, Kim, asked me to post this on her behalf:

Introduced to Elizabeth Zimmerman by a dear friend many years ago, I have long admired and delighted in reading her books and watching her charming videos. A purchase of numerous skeins of wool at a garage sale gave me the perfect opportunity to “experiment” with knitting a sweater via Elizabeth’s Percentage System. I had nothing to lose! To start with, I had a totally different plan for this sweater. I had intended to continue using the blue in the yoke pattern. When it was apparent that I was running out of blue, I went back to my bag of wool and improvised. I had plenty of white and many shades of gray, so the Medusa yoke pattern from Knitting Workshop looked like the ticket. The yarn is Briggs & Little woolen worsted, knit on size 8 (US) circular needles. This sweater fits me perfectly. Elizabeth is right—you measure a favorite sweater and start calculating from there.


Feeling empowered by the success of the Medusa yoke sweater, I embarked on a Baby Surprise Jacket for my soon to be born nephew. Knit on size 8 (US) needles with Swish Superwash Wool from Knit Picks in Red Pepper it measures 22" around and 13" long. It took 5 skeins and left enough wool to knit booties to match.

7 Comments:

  • Wow! That Medusa is beautiful! (The baby set is nice too.) I love the colors. Now I want to make one too. Well done you.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:22 PM  

  • Please tell blogless Kim that her Medusa sweater is GORGEOUS and has inspired me to pick up my EZ book and figure out my % and start knitting :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:56 AM  

  • Tell bloggless Kim to get a blog ;) I'd love to see some of her other projects. Those are both lovely!

    By Blogger KnittyLynn, at 10:13 AM  

  • The Medusa pattern is one of my favorites. I'm so happy to see it!

    L

    By Blogger Lola and Ava, at 11:13 AM  

  • Blogless Kim - Amazing!
    And Kathy...thank you for taking the time to share it with us.

    By Blogger Elysbeth, at 11:39 AM  

  • Oh my gosh that Medusa sweater is COOL! Tell your buddy to get a blog and post pictures! And let us know!

    By Blogger Julie, at 1:28 PM  

  • i am in love with the medusa. and it is nice to see something new from ms zimmermann. it is great fun to see the ganomies, the february sweaters, the big amount of bsjs and fun to knit it. but this one is a gem.

    By Blogger knititch, at 2:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home