Zimmermania

Monday, February 19, 2007

The pi r square shawl is done!!

Thank you to everyone who offered advice on this piece. I had wanted to make this shawl for a while - and it was a great learning piece!! I really love the piece and will wear it alot, but there are some problems with it. It took me 2 1/2 corners to figure out how to run the lace pattern that EZ suggested around the corners. The lace was really hard to block - combined with the fact that I started from one side, not the center, so it will require re-blocking eventually, and I broke a stitch by pulling too tight while blocking. Thankfully, I had someone show me how to repair lace not too long ago - something I hope to never have to put into practice again. Finally, I had a hard time with the lace because if I made a mistake knitted an extra row, or whatnot, I had a horrible time going backwards and not having to frog the whole border. At the end, I started putting in "lifelines"on the first row so that I could just pull back to the first row and start again. I think I will like the way this piece looks more when it is re-blocked (my husband is making me a blocking board ala knitty.com) but as it is, for all its problems, I do not think that to a non-knitters eye, you could tell while I was wearing it - as I am today. Sorry the photos are not that good. And thanks to EZ for a lot of
lessons learned! This shawl took 250 g (almost exactly) of lace weight alpaca - it measures just over 29" neck to bottom and 50" longest side points, which, for what I wanted, is perfect. I think I paid about $10 on ebay for the 100% alpaca yarn - so this could be one of the least expensive, most used pieces I ever make!! And it is my first (of many, I am sure) EZ project!!

Have a great week!!

8 Comments:

  • Great job! I love that dark color!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:40 PM  

  • Wow! That's gorgeous! Great job

    By Blogger D, at 1:31 PM  

  • Congratulations on finishing your beautiful shawl. It looks great!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:39 PM  

  • Lovely! (And did you know those two orbs over you are ghosts?) Congrats on the lacework!!

    By Blogger Dharmafey, at 4:22 PM  

  • Fabulous. Thank you for sharing and tempting me to dive into one. Okay, maybe not for the temptation, but definitely for the share.

    By Blogger Elysbeth, at 2:35 AM  

  • this is just gorgeous! i love the darkish grey color--it will match many outfits (at least in my wardrobe lol)

    By Blogger the nifty needler, at 4:29 AM  

  • That is one beautiful shawl!! Was it fairly easy to knit, in your opinion?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:41 AM  

  • Absolutely beautiful~

    By Blogger Nonna Rose, at 12:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home