Zimmermania

Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Bogged Down

I am suffereing from some major bog woes. I was so excited after my last post seeking help from others knitting the bog jacket, as I got an answer to my question from Meg herself! I ripped back the sleeves I had already been working on and started again from the point where you cast on the extra length for the sleeves. Then I worked happily along, completing the whole left side of the jacket. I tried it on and this sucker is HUGE!!!!

After grafting the left side sleeve to the body and so on, I tried it on (as best I could on one side) and the thing is gigantic! I think the math is just not working out for me as I'm on the chubby side and so I need a jacket that is wider than it is long. I had already adjusted the lenght as I wanted something that hit at the hip as opposed to being long --i.e. over the tush. But when it came to working the upper part of the jacket--the sleeves/yoke, that's where the math failed me.

Or maybe it wasn't the math, maybe it was just me. I was going by the picture in the Knitting Around book that shows Liesl sporting a slim fitting bog, and by this post http://zimmermaniacs.blogspot.com/2006/11/belated-bog.html
which inspired me to make the bog in the first place. So I was expecting the end result to be a fitted jacket as opposed to the Kimono I've ended up with.

So it's back to the drawing board for me. I think I'll just have to tweak the math a bit (maybe a lot) to get it to fit the way I want. But that's still in keeping with Elizabeth's style, right? Find a pattern you like and make the necessary changes to make it yours? I'll keep you posted.

1 Comments:

  • Oh Emily, that just SUCKS. It makes sense, what you say about needing to refigure it for your arms & shoulders. I hope you don't have to frog the whole thing, can you just rip back to where you split for the arms & go from there?

    BTW - love the colors you put on it!

    By Blogger Rachael, at 10:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home