Zimmermania

Sunday, March 18, 2007

Cousin NAGLAR

This is another design from Knitting Workshop, one of EZ's seven (SEVEN!) options for a seamless yoke/shoulder. If you're not familiar with the pattern it's kind of hard to explain. You knit up to the armpits and start increasing at 4 raglan points. When you have enough sts you knit the sleeves down, graft the shoulders, and knit up the neck. Bizarre but brilliant.

This is a great design for babies and young kids because it's a no-steek, no extra math, open-shoulder pullover. Graft one shoulder, put a button band on the other, and poof! A sweater to fit over any kid's head. LOVE IT! Here we are, one shoulder grafted, the rest of the sts waiting for their neck treatment.
But I have a small problem. It's waving at me.
I'm not sure why the sleeves are angling UP. I can think of 2 possible reasons
1. I missed a few increases on the body, but not the sleeves.
2. My yarn is extremely over-spun. I inherited a sackful of homespun from my aunt and it's really wiry. I've never knit with anything like this before and I'm not sure how it effects the knitting, and how much it might relax in the wash.

Yuck, huh? I'm trying to use it up to make stash space.

Should I frog and try some other yarn?
Should I frog and try to fix the sleeves?
Would decreasing on the top of the sleeve help?
If anyone else has ever knit this design, please give me your input! I could use all the help I can get! Thanks!

PS: Thank you all for your wonderful comments about the Ribwarmer. My mom got it for her birthday today and hasn't taken it off yet! For the curious, here is a picture of the one-piece-back with the double mitre.

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

  • I really love the look of the ribwarmer, the way the stitches are mitred do it for me! I also love the idea of that jumper you're making, but the yarn looks a bit interesting. I guess it will be a bit more malliable when it is wet?

    By Blogger picperfic, at 12:56 AM  

  • I had the same problem with a pattern that is a variant of the naglar principle. I solved it by recycling the yarn for another pattern. Sorry I don't have any words of wisdom for you. I'd like to know the solution for future projects.

    By Blogger Lola, at 4:13 AM  

  • The waving sleeve comment just made me snort my coffee. I've been eyeing the NALGAR because it intrigues me, so I'm anxious to see what you figure out.

    By Blogger Renee, at 5:22 AM  

  • Thanks for showing the back of the ribwarmer - did you adapt the pattern yourself?

    By Blogger becky c., at 5:57 AM  

  • I might be crazy...but in the picture of Cousin Nalgar in the book, aren't the sleeves angling up? (drawing, that is?) Maybe that's just the way he knits up? A cheery, if anatomically improbable fellow.

    By Blogger Dana, at 11:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home