Zimmermania

Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Modified February Sweater

I made this baby jacket based on Elizabeth's February Sweater from her Knitter's Almanac. I have started to knit this sweater a few times before, but have always been unhappy with the way my garter stitch yoke looks...the increases look scruffy and holey!...the photo below shows one of my attempts :-(
...not wanting to give up on it (especially after seeing how awesome everybody else's looked), I decided to change the part of the pattern that wasn't working for me. I figured that I could still make pretty much the same jacket, with a different yoke. I lined up my increases in a row at the 4 seams (in other words, made it a raglan) and continued on with the gull pattern for the rest. It is still made top down and 'practically seamless on 2 needles' as per Elizabeth's instructions :-) I did the raglan yoke in stocking stitch, as I thought it would look neater, but I'm going to try doing the same in garter stitch.
Thanks, thanks, thanks! to EZ, for helping to give us knitters the confidence to explore different ideas, when something isn't working the way we want it to :-D Linda

Labels:

12 Comments:

  • Hey, wow! That looks awesome! Great job!!!

    By Blogger Lori, at 8:30 PM  

  • Elizabeth would be very proud of you for being the boss of your knitting...you did a magnificent job!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:22 PM  

  • I love your mod! That sweater is so sweet. Beautiful work.

    By Blogger Emily, at 10:46 PM  

  • Very nice version of this classic sweater! Can you please share your increase formula? I am guessing it's increased 8 st every other row, but that sounds a bit too much, so if you could share it would save me a bit of experimenting (not that experimenting is such a bad thing...)

    I hope you enjoy seeing the recipient in this lovely swater!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:52 AM  

  • your modified version turned out beautifully!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:36 AM  

  • Wow, I think that version is actually cuter than the original (which I've made and thought the same about the increases). Great idea! I'd love to know the "formula" also.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:14 AM  

  • I really like this modification, too. Feel like sharing with us? Lovely sweater.

    By Blogger Taoknitter, at 6:08 AM  

  • Fantastic! Is that a worsted weight wool or something finer? I would also love it if you were willing to share some design details!
    Christina

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:44 AM  

  • Nice modifications. This is starting to look a bit more gender neutral which is a bonus. I can now envision a variation for a little boy. Good work!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:52 AM  

  • The sweater is lovely. I've tried the pattern as is twice and didn't like how it looked. I never considered st st and then gull....great I idea. I may steal it!

    By Blogger Nonna Rose, at 9:50 AM  

  • Absolutely adorable! You made EZ proud!

    By Blogger Kate, at 12:33 PM  

  • Excellent modification!

    By Blogger Tipper, at 5:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home