Zimmermania

Sunday, April 08, 2007

More Pi, Anyone?

March 27, 2007

Last April, I bought 2 skeins of Fleece Artist Blue Face 2/8 at the Downtown Knit Collective's Knitters' Frolic.


I knew yarn this beautiful was destined to become shawls, but I had trouble finding a simple pattern that wouldn't detract from the loveliness of the wool. I finally settled on EZ's plain Pi shawl, which would show off the subtlety of the hand-dyed colours.

In the Almanac, EZ points out how the WIP forms a little bag, perfect for holding the ball of working yarn. Indeed!


As it grows, it strikes me how similar this shawl is to blogger Bluestocking's version, here. I can't help but think that the purple skein will turn out to be much like her purple Pi as well.


EDIT: April 8, 2007
It's done. Here it is being modelled by my guitar.


I had to block it twice. The first time, I tried to make it perfectly circular, but it came out wonky. The second time, I pinned out 12 points, so the FO ended up with scallops.


If anyone knows some trick to pinning out a round shawl, please let me know. I'd really like this shawl to have a smooth border, but failing that, I guess I can live with the scallops.

Labels:

5 Comments:

  • now that looks a fun shawl to make..love the way ez tells the story as it grows...

    By Blogger picperfic, at 2:08 PM  

  • I love me anything Fleece Artist!! I have a shawl I made with her discontinued Rapunzel yarn (garter stitched triangle) that I love to just rub my face in. The Rapunzel was similar to Goldilocks and Curlilocks but silkier. BFL is so soft..bet your shawls will be fabulous!

    By Blogger Ali P, at 2:53 PM  

  • The shawl's gorgeous and I like the guitar model hehehe.
    Have you read through Eunny Jang's Lace tutorial?
    http://tinyurl.com/f5pfd
    I don't remember if she discusses round shawls though. I do know that some people draw circles on an old sheet so that they can use that as guide to pin out a circular shawl.
    Try googling Rose of England Shawl or Balmoral Shawl. I know that for one of them there's pictures available with the sheet 'trick'.
    Cheers Eva

    By Blogger EvaLux, at 3:37 PM  

  • That's an entirely beautiful shawl. Wear it in good health. :)

    By Blogger carlita dee, at 1:33 PM  

  • It's beautiful! I actually prefer the scallops--it gives it an edge (no pun intended!). Good work!

    By Blogger Jen, at 8:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home