Zimmermania

Thursday, March 22, 2007

My February Sweater Modifications

I've been asked to share the modifications that I made to EZ's February Sweater..I've tried to be very careful regarding copyright issues, so have written it in such a way, that it is an add-on to Elizabeth's pithy directions, and won't make any sense without the original...(hope this is ok..if not, I'm happy to delete the post :-))
**Work as the original until you reach the first row of increases. Instead of increasing, decide where your shoulders should be (pin the neckline closed as if it's buttoned up, and the folds at the edges will be about right for the shoulders). I made the top of each sleeve, 2 stitches wide, so placed a stitch marker either side of that. Working from here in stocking stitch, increase one stitch either side of the 4 markers, on every knit row (keeping front edges in garter stitch). Work until there is roughly the same amount of stitches as the last increase row in the pithy directions ( mine had 6 stitches more). You are now at the part in the directions, where you divide for the sleeves and body...from here, you start using the gull pattern instead of stocking stitch. I increased the sleeve and underarm by casting on enough stitches for one gull pattern repeat. The rest of the pattern is as the pithy :-)**

This really is the easiest ever modification :-D ...hope the way I've written it makes sense!

Kelley, thanks for the comment :-) The yarn I used for my February sweater was Red Heart Soft Baby. The ball band says that it's fingering weight, but I'm not too familiar with US terminology...if I was talking in Aus/UK terms, I would call it a baby 4ply. I used 4mm needles, but could possibly have gone down a size. There are a few more stitches on the yellow sweater (than in he modified directions), as I added more for the front bands. The chest measurement was about 20 inches, but the ones made with the written mods, should be slightly smaller.
Hope this helps :-)

Linda

Labels:

8 Comments:

  • Thanks! It makes complete sense, and is as simple as I dared imagine! I admit that I am surprised to hear that it's so easy, as I am a garter stitch addict and am suspicious of stocking stitch for reasons of inelegant geometry. I need to get out more!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:14 AM  

  • That is very easy to understand! Thanks!

    By Blogger Kate, at 7:19 AM  

  • Well done, and quite in the EZ spirit! Thanks for sharing!

    By Blogger eudyptula, at 8:25 AM  

  • Just the right spirit indeed, and a very handsome result! I may have to give your mods a try.

    By Blogger Sarah / Blue Garter, at 11:56 AM  

  • Thanks so much for sharing this! This is definitely on my to-do list now. It looks like you used baby yarn for this sweater. I'm always confused about the sizing for EZ's baby items. What weight yarn and what size needles did you use, and what size did the sweater turn out (chest width)?

    By Blogger Kelley, at 8:30 AM  

  • Thank you so much for your labor of love. How very nice of you. It looks much more understandable to me now.Your knitting is so beautiful. God Bless you, Rita

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:04 PM  

  • Thank you so much for sharing this! I've printed it out and added it to my pattern. :)

    Jan

    By Blogger Jan in CA, at 2:47 PM  

  • This comment has been removed by the author.

    By Blogger Jan in CA, at 2:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home