Zimmermania

Sunday, March 18, 2007

The Seamless Saddle-Shouldered Big Sack Sweater


Crappy photo on a cloudy day but here is my contribution to the lot of seamless EZ sweaters. I had completed the Big Sack sweater from S&B years ago when I was just learning the continental method of knitting. I, like many other beginners, wrapped the yarn the wrong way round on the purl rows and ended up with a very heavy sweater full of row of crossed stitches. That sweater didn't get much wear.

I decided to knit this seamless sweater with the Big Sack Sweater's cable down the front. I think it is a good match for the pattern. I also knit this sweater a few needle sizes down from the recommended gauge for the yarn I used: Ambiance by Markoma (I can't find a site for this Norwegian yarn). This made for a really slow knit, huffing all those tight stitches around the needles, but resulted in a very thick and warm fabric. Just what is needed for the damp cool springs we have here in Vancouver.

I really like EZ's patterns but her 'recipes' occasionally get to me. She comes up with a really neat solution to sweater design but then doesn't follow through all the way. For instance she spells out the pattern so you can knit the sweater in the yarn you choose, for a size that fits just you, all in percentages, which is great. But then you come across a line in her recipe that says "Now knit 10 more rounds." Who's 10 rounds? Your 10 rounds? My 10 rounds? If anyone else was irked by this I figured out that these 10 rounds equal out to knitting up (ssk's and k2tog's at the shoulder decreases as before) 20% of the stitches you cast on for the body. At least I think that is correct, it worked for me. This equaled only 6 rounds for me at my gauge/wool combo.

Also, I would definitely do this sweater from the top down if there is a next time. I had to back track and knit 3 more inches to the body after being nearly completed the first time or I would have ended up with a belly sweater. Yuck. Its not so easy to guess how long the body should be before hand.

Anyways, I digress. I am pretty happy with the sweater, and once I have finished seaming up the other arm pit and sewing down the inside collar, it will be ready for Spring!

12 Comments:

  • Your sweater is beautiful! I like seeing some variation on the basic pattern. I knitted a seamless saddle shoulder and loved it so much that I'm doing another seamless now with a center cable and some other embellishments, sort of figuring it out as I go. Seeing yours looking so finished and pretty is great inspiration ;-) Love the grey color, too. Very classic and pretty.

    By Blogger Lydia, at 12:57 PM  

  • I love the cable up the center - a nice addition to the basic pattern. And the contrasting hems are a good touch a well. Nicely done!

    By Blogger Lori, at 4:18 PM  

  • It's beautiful! I love the colors and the big cable down the center.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:35 PM  

  • Beautiful! That's a sweater anyone would feel good wearing. Lovely colors!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:29 PM  

  • Oh, it looks so cuddly and warm. What I like about knitting sweaters in the round from the bottom up is that it's easy to climb in and check to see if it's up to your armpits yet. The cable is a great addition, and I love the spring green hem!

    By Blogger Sarah / Blue Garter, at 7:30 PM  

  • Wow thanks for all the compliments guys. :)

    By Blogger Christa, at 8:03 PM  

  • Very nice work. I love the colors. Next sweater I make, I must use a hem :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:33 PM  

  • That is so lovely. I like how you, doing EZ proud, made it your own. Mixed and matched with this and that.
    It is truly a one of a kind knit.

    Thanks for sharing!

    By Blogger KnittyLynn, at 9:00 PM  

  • I love the look of this sweater, also the coloured hems look so beautiful and neat. I really must get some more of EZ's books!

    By Blogger picperfic, at 12:53 AM  

  • Wow - what a fab jumper! I have the yarn for a seamless sweater and I think I might have to steal your idea of using the cable down the centre - it'll make all that stockinette a bit more interesting.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:14 AM  

  • I love it! Good job!

    By Blogger Unknown, at 8:45 PM  

  • Oh my, I wrapped my yarn around the wrong way when I was continental knitting for YEARS. Like 12 years. I only even learned I was doing it the 'modified continental' way when I went to Iceland last summer.

    By Blogger Maggie Tipping, at 5:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home