Zimmermania

Thursday, April 26, 2007

Baby Surplice Jacket--Done!

I finished my Baby Surplice Jacket today, and I think it turned out great! I knit it out of Lorna's Laces Shepherd Worsted in Iris Garden on size 8 needles, with a gauge of about 5-1/4 stitches. I left the sleeve stitches on a piece of waste yarn, picked them up and added 20 rows of k2p2 ribbing for an ample cuff, and I love how the cuffs look turned over. I tried it on my 4-month-old daughter, and it is so cute on her. I think it will still fit this fall, since it crosses over quite a bit in the front and garter stitch is sooo stretchy. (This is another reason I added ribbed cuffs--I want it to fit as long as possible!)


I thought about adding applied I-cord to the neckline, but I decided that the variegated yarn would make it look messy so I left it as-is. I think that was the right decision. This was such a fun knit, and the construction is ingenious, as always. I think a February Baby Sweater is coming up next, although with all the great Baby Surprises popping up all over (jackets, not real babies), I might have to do that one. I do love me some garter stitch! More details on my blog.

6 Comments:

  • i think it is gorgeous. and you made the right choices. in my opinion. i adore the mitered sleeves and hope for a lot of babies in my family in the future. so few babies so much zimmermann as opposed to so many men so little time.

    By Blogger knititch, at 4:32 PM  

  • Wonderful sweater!! I think you've inspired me to give it a go.

    Thanks for sharing!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:48 PM  

  • Very sweet little sweater. I love the colors in the yarn. The long ribbed cuff was a good idea, I'll remember that when I make one of these.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:08 PM  

  • This comment has been removed by the author.

    By Blogger luv2knit, at 3:00 PM  

  • Is this the same jacket that is from WOOL GATHERING or is this a different pattern completely?
    I love how it turned out,,,perfect!
    Love to see the baby in the jacket too!(-:

    By Blogger luv2knit, at 4:37 PM  

  • I saw the pattern in VK and was on the fence about it, but after seeing yours I had to go right out and buy the mag. Beautiful! Love the whole ensemble.

    By Blogger Donna, at 7:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home