Zimmermania

Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Fishtraps and the Right Twist

Both sets of sleeves are done and I just started the body section of my first Fishtrap (I'm making them for 4 YO twins)... Wow. My utmost respect goes to anyone who does this pattern for an adult. Rather an involved project.
I really like how the Fishtrap pattern is progressing, but... My left and right twists are not symmetrical at all. Has anyone else had this problem?? I'm doing them as EZ instructs in KA but she says that her right twists not an orthodox method. Would the orthodox method be closer to symmetrical?? Or perhaps I just don't knit evenly. I'm not going to rip this one out and start over, but if anyone has any suggestions I can make the next one differently. Thanks!

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

  • I was having this problem doing EZ's sheepfold pattern, until I pulled out Barbara Walker's A Second Treasury of Knitting Patterns. I followed her instructions in the glossary for RT and LT. My problem was the LT stitches were too big. Quoting from the glossary for LT, With right-hand needle behind left-hand needle, skip one st and knit the second st in back loop; then insert right-hand needle into the backs of both sts (the skipped st and the second st) and k2 tog-b. I was inserting my right needle into the front of both sts. It really made a difference. I hope this helps, if you need more please let me know.
    kmac

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:32 AM  

  • you know what, here are the instructions for RT anyway, K2 tog, leaving sts on left-hand needle; then insert right-hand needle fro the front between the two sts just knitted together, and knit the first st again; then slip both sts from needle together. These instructions come from Barbara G Walker's A Second Treasury of Knitting Patterns.
    Good luck!

    kmac

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:37 AM  

  • Hi Peggy,

    First of all, please don't rip out unless you absolutely HAVE to, in order to please yourself. Your cables in the sleeves look absolutely perfect, and I might suggest that you are being too critical of your own work.

    That said, I must admit that I'm totally compulsive about such things myself, so I'm with you if you really need to rip!

    When knitting the Sheepfold, I actually do both the left-twist and right-twist just like I would work a small cable. That way, you work each stitch one time only. The instructions from BGW's 2nd Treasurye cause you to work some stitches twice, which may cause the distortion.

    It's worth a try! Good luck, and keep us posted. Amy in Wisconsin

    By Blogger Amy Detjen, at 10:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home