Zimmermania

Sunday, May 13, 2007

Baby Surprise Jacket


After seeing some of the BSJs posted on this blog, I just had to try one out for myself. It was such fun to knit and then see how it all worked out! This one is knit in Plymouth Encore (color 2426) with stripes in some pale pink heather Lion Brand Wool-Ease I had around. It was knit on size 5 needles. The ladybug buttons (though it is hard to see that is what they are) are from Joanne's.

EZ mentions that "your friends will be amazed," and that certainly was true. It was fun to see if they could turn the odd-shaped piece of knitting into something meaningful.

I was a bit skeptical about having buttonholes on both sides, since I knew it was for a girl, but the extra set was indeed great for knowing exactly where to place the buttons.

The neck is fairly small on mine, and looking at others here, that seems to be the norm. Since I've not seen a BSJ on an actual baby, how does the neck fit? I figure the parents can always leave the first button unbuttoned. This one will be heading into the mailstream tomorrow for a baby shower--my stepson's first baby!

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

  • the neck looked very small to me as well but it seems to fit anyway. i suppose it is due to the stretchiness of the fabric.

    By Blogger knititch, at 12:12 AM  

  • Very cute! The 2 colors look great together.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:38 PM  

  • Even thought many babies have huge, wonderful jowls - their necks are rather scrawny! Lovely version you've produced.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:14 PM  

  • I found this site while looking for clarification on the directions for this sweater.

    I'm not sure what she means by "after 22 decreases ..." in the beginning of the pattern.

    B/c the pattern has me doing four decreases per row, so doing 22 doesn't make sense to me.

    How many rows did you knit before beginning to increase again?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:01 AM  

  • Katg,

    I believe that this is 22 rows with decreases (with plain knit rows in between). I knew I was done when I had the 90 stitches mentioned in the pattern. I hope this helps.

    By Blogger TJacobson, at 11:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home