Zimmermania

Sunday, June 10, 2007

Doggy Pi

Just finished a stash-busting project: a felted dog bed made from leftover Lopi.

I adapted the pattern from Wendy's felted kitty bed, which is based on the increases used in Elizabeth Zimmermann's Pi Shawl (hence Wendy's name of "Kitty Pi").

I followed Wendy's instructions exactly except that I made it much larger by doubling stitches an additional time at 24 rows--288 stitches--and I used size 13 needles. It was a super-quick knit-up--chunky yarn, huge needles, knit in the round (which is much quicker for me than straight knitting). I knit in the car during the last two camping trips (feeling like EZ herself!), and it rolled off the needles lickety-split.

From her pattern, it looked like Wendy was counting on 40% shrinkage, which seems high, but I used that in my own adapted pattern and did indeed get the size I was after (about three feet in diameter). It will suit James for a while, since he typically curls up when he sleeps.

I didn't block mine as severely as Wendy did--in fact, I couldn't stop the puppy from playing with it while it was still wet!

My knitting friends asked me about being worried if he will chew it. I'm not really. The felted knitting is super thick (like carpet), and the dog has a soft bite. Also, if he does chew a hole in it, it can't really unravel (thanks to the felting), and I can just throw it into the washing machine for re-felting to mend the hole!

Labels:

6 Comments:

  • not much of a dog person myself but my friend knits for her dog occasionally. and i am sure that your dog is a well trained dog that will not bite in the great shawl. lovely.

    By Blogger knititch, at 11:37 AM  

  • Great Doggy Pi! And James is adorable. I have three dogs who would love that bed! If the cats would let them use it..... :O) samm

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:23 PM  

  • Oooooh ... the cute cute dog seems to enjoy his PI!

    By Blogger Elena, at 12:38 PM  

  • that is outstanding! I love it. I'm a big dog person and that's a great bed.

    By Blogger Pam, at 12:54 PM  

  • James is adorable on his Doggy Pi! I'm another dog person and that is a great bed. (I've got a visiting dog, right now, and she thinks I should have more dog beds.)

    By Blogger Bullwinkle, at 2:01 AM  

  • I love your great bed and your cute dog. You've inspired me to make a bed for my dog, after having made 6 cat beds as gifts for others. I assume you did not knit up a side, you just knit a large flat circle. Is that correct?

    By Blogger Molly, at 11:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home