Zimmermania

Sunday, June 24, 2007

leggings

Hello! I am usually a first class lurker of this blog, enjoying everyone's work. I have a completed BSJ, have made the ganomey hat and the tricorner beret.

(The following is pretty much a crosspot from another group. I am looking for help wherever I can!)

Right now I am working on the baby leggings and they seem so BIG. I know I only have a vague idea these days of how big babies really are, but I was hoping to get about a 6-9 month size and with many rows to go, I think I am ending up with more like an 18 month. Way too big to go with the 6 month sweater I have finished!

Any ideas here? I am considering stopping now, (an inseam of 5” and I am not to the ribbing yet!), decrease around a few stitches, and then adding ribbing and forgetting the cute bootie foot. Sound plausible?

I am really excited about this outfit, I spun the alpaca yarn myself and it is heavenly soft.

Thanks for any help or ideas,
Linda

3 Comments:

  • I'd like this information, too, as this is what I'm hoping to knit next. Thanks for asking about this.

    By Blogger ejmh, at 3:27 PM  

  • I just made my son a pair of shorties from this pattern, and it does come out sized for an older baby. My son is 15 months old and it fits him really well. You could always adjust the pattern by following EZ's non-pithy directions to fit the size you need--fewer cast-on stitches, shorter rise, fewer increase repeats, yadda yadda yadda. Just knit a swatch and do a little gauge math using the desired waist/hip/rise measurements.

    By Blogger Kelley, at 7:25 AM  

  • I made several pair of the baby leggings for my son who is now 29 years old. They didn't seem that large once I got them on with a bulky diaper. (Although disposable diapers were available then we used cotton for environmental reasons.) They fit him from newborn to about 4 months, knit from a fairly thin wool.

    Your idea to leave off the bootie foot might extend the wearability duration. How wonderful that you are using your handspun alpaca. Have fun!

    By Blogger Paula, at 7:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home