Zimmermania

Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Moccasin Socks Finally Done!

Elizabeth Zimmerman's Moccasin Socks for Jeremy


They are finally done! And they look GORGEOUS on my fiance's foot. Before I get too deep into the post though, here're the details:
Yarn: Opal Handpaint (in a pretty dark grey color I got from a swap on knitswap)
Needles: KnitPicks Classic Circs US1
Pattern: Moccasin Socks from Knitter's Almanac
Notes: So, love the pattern.. except for one thing..

Elizabeth Zimmerman's Moccasin Socks for Jeremy


EZ Assures me these "bumps" will go away with blocking, but I don't think they will. I think if I make these again I won't make the decreases on the toes and heels quite so "Sharp" I've noticed EZ isn't big on graduated shaping, if she wants something to be circular she just does everything in one row and then blocks it to stretch, which I'm not sure I like. But whether I like it or not, these socks are great, and I also LOOOOVE the pointed heel. She's so right about how nice it is. Looks great.

Elizabeth Zimmerman's Moccasin Socks for Jeremy- Heel


As you can see its a little holey where the stitches got picked up but I've since fixed that with some creative stitch tightening. Also, please ignore my fiance's crazy feet.

So, anyone have tips on the bottom feet and getting rid of the points? More graduated shaping? Please let me know!

7 Comments:

  • Sorry no tips but you have inspired me to have a go!

    By Blogger sarah moran, at 3:41 AM  

  • Rather than 'blocking' flat, EZ might have said that the bump will 'wear' flat.
    I've made plenty of these socks and I work EZ's graduated ball-of-foot shaping (in 3 segments, I believe - with a half-inch between them).

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:29 AM  

  • I love these socks...I think these will be on my project list! Thanks for showing us something different and a comment from Meg too, now that's special!

    By Blogger picperfic, at 5:41 AM  

  • I started making these for myself but ended up ripping them out, as the yarn I had chosen for the sole was thinner than the leg yarn and it looked awful. However I haven't given up on making them one day.

    One thing that I found was that she says to knit to, I think, 8 inches on the instep, then knit for an inch, but still be 2.5 inches from the final length of the foot. If I had done that, my socks would have been waaaaaay too big. I stopped the ribbing at 6.5 inches.

    By Blogger Nicola, at 8:24 AM  

  • "One thing that I found was that she says to knit to, I think, 8 inches on the instep, then knit for an inch, but still be 2.5 inches from the final length of the foot. If I had done that, my socks would have been waaaaaay too big. I stopped the ribbing at 6.5 inches."

    I noticed the same thing, so I just knitted a couple rows of stockinette before I started the toe and they came out the perfect length for my fiance's foot.

    I think I will try the shaping in 3 segments- the instructions I had just had 1 decrease row after 1 inch. In Knitter's Almanac it says the bumps can be steam ironed away so I might try that until Jeremy wears away the feet and I need to refoot them.

    By Blogger Cornellian, at 9:39 AM  

  • I just finished a pair (they're a birthday present so I won't post til much later)and when I did the graft on the second sock I did the heel first and it made a better feel and look.
    I didn't do the decrease in one round either. I did it in two with a plain in the middle and after.
    Good luck!
    By the way...how many stitches did you CO and such.thanks.

    By Blogger wendy, at 11:38 AM  

  • How lovely that Meg left a comment! Wow! *starry eyes*

    Your bumps look like kitchener "dog ears" to me. Because you grafted a longer length, your ears are a bit larger. ;-) If you google the three words kitchener socks ears you'll find a lot of discussion to avoid them. FWIW, when I quit doing the "kitchener set up" usually recommended and went straight into "knit, slip, purl. purl, slip, knit" the ears were virtually eliminated. Also, make sure your tension on the kitchener isn't tight, but is even and equal to your gauge on the rest of the sole.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home