Zimmermania

Saturday, August 25, 2007

EZ's Angel

I finished the Angel in Christmas Fiddle Faddle in the Wilds, from the Knitter’s Almanac. She’s made from a white mohair yarn that I came across in my stash without a label: it has little patches of pale pink, lemon and lavender in it. You can see some of the snowflakes I knitted from the same yarn, from EZ's star pattern.

EZ’s angels have a colour pattern around the hem, but I felt that with fluffy white yarn I didn’t need to have colourwork as well. I used the same number of stitches and didn’t really have any idea what size she would turn out to be, but she’s just under 6 inches high. She isn’t big enough to become a hat after Twelfth Night. Perhaps I should knit her big sister and I could wear her as a hat.

Her little arms are i-cord and worked perfectly. I made up the wings because I thought she ought to have some, and I only needed to add blue eyes to her face because the yarn obligingly placed a pink bit at her mouth (that wouldn’t have happened if I’d tried, I promise).

Her hair can be smoothed down but I like her best with it a bit wild – in some of the dimly lit photos she looked more like the Corpse Bride than a Christmas Tree Fairy.

5 Comments:

  • Ooooooh, she is very cute. I like the idea of a 'big sister' hat; my 26 year old daughter would wear a hat like that ;-)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:29 AM  

  • Most angels tumble and fall and get a bit mussed, don't they? At least the "angels-on-earth" do!

    Your corpse bride comment had me laughing!!

    She's a cutie!
    :)

    By Blogger Pooch, at 1:37 PM  

  • Gorgeous! I took the KA with me on our camping trip but just couldn't knit the fiddle faddle. Maybe in the comfort of my 4 (plaster) walls -

    By Blogger Diane H, at 1:37 PM  

  • Thanks for the nice comments. I found these items a bit of a chore the first time I tried them, diane h, but I think it's because I was using dull yarn. As soon as I stepped up to fluffy mohair and Kid Classic, I got hooked. And they were all left-overs from past projects or forgotten items from the stash, so they weren't extravagances - an economy really :)

    By Blogger Helen, at 4:31 AM  

  • Very cute!

    By Blogger Monika, at 4:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home