Zimmermania

Wednesday, August 01, 2007

New Zimmermaniac

Hello,

I;ve only been knitting for a couple of months, and have been looking for some exciting but simple designs, as quite a lot of the things I have seen around are a bit too 'trendy' and complicated for my liking.

I stumbled across Elizabeth Zimmermann's work when I spotted this baby surprise jacket on Brooklyn Tweed's blog a little while ago, and determined to find out how to make this magical little jacket for a friend of mine who is due her first baby in December.

After much investigating I finally bought the Opinionated Knitter - note to Schoolhouse Press in case you read this blog - not many of your books by Elizabeth Zimmermann are easily available in the UK - for example, only Knitting without tears and the Knitter's almanac are listed as in print on Amazon.co.uk. It would be much appreciated if they were ...

After rushing to the post office, I sat down and cast on all my stitches - and a week later this was the result:

bsj undone

I was a little disconcerted to say the least, but I trusted the pattern, and folded accordingly - and, ta dah!

bsj done

(apologies for the rubbish picture quality - I was in a rush)

This is only a trial run in nasty acrylic, so I can work out how much yarn I need etc., but I am pretty pleased with the result. I'm off to the knitwiki now for hints and tips before I go yarn shopping!

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

  • You lucky . . . no, TALENTED gal!! It's perfect! I've never made one yet, but if you say you've only been knitting for a few months and pulled that off, well then, maybe there's hope for me!

    Well done!

    By Blogger Rani, at 6:52 AM  

  • It looks terrific!

    By Blogger Lauren, at 8:33 AM  

  • Very impressive for just a couple of months! Great job :)

    By Blogger Kivy, at 10:52 AM  

  • I am making my first bsj, I am beginning the cast off rows. It is in a deep autumn red color. I hope it comes out as nice as yours!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:54 AM  

  • You can order anything by Schoolhouse Press from anywhere in the world. They will ship whatever you want directly to you! www.schoolhousepress.com

    By Blogger Nancy, at 12:44 PM  

  • The one thing I have learned with EZ patterns is that you just have to trust that it will all turn out in the end. I am doing her moccasins at the moment and I have done a lot of sock knitting, but I was half way through the pattern before I knew which end was up!

    By Blogger Kathy, at 3:17 AM  

  • Dear Crafty Librarian,
    you can get several EZ books (Knitting Without Tears, Around, Workshop, Almanac and Opinionated Knitter) from fibrecrafts.com in the UK.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:00 AM  

  • Thank you for all your kind comments.

    Also thanks for the tips about where to find the books - I will definitely be buying more.

    I know that Schoolhouse Press ship overseas, but the point I was making was that if you could easily get the books from Amazon, Waterstones, Borders etc in the UK, more people would get hold of them and spread the word (I am really a librarian - so my attitude is to provide as many access points to books as possible).

    By Blogger Crafty Librarian, at 5:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home