Zimmermania

Sunday, August 19, 2007

So I just made the February Baby Jacket

Last week I was concerned that the FBJ wouldn't be appreciated by my cousins if they have a baby boy. I still don't think they'd put a little boy in lace (I think it would be adorable), but I had a real longing to make this cute little thing and couldn't resist any longer. It's made in Araucania Nature Wool color #47 with slightly different celtic buttons than last time. I always find myself getting stately buttons for EZ projects, they seem to be so fitting.

Just in case a Y chromosome makes an appearance, I've started a Tomten in the same yarn. I picked up a skein of the lovely, limey, color #51 for i-cord edging. When the baby arrives in January, I'll just pull out the appropriate sweater and keep the other in reserve as an emergency gift. The tiny Tomten will also function as a practice run for my five-year-old cousin's sweater, which I'm still plotting.

7 Comments:

  • That's such an adorable sweater and I love the color you picked. I've been dying to make it too... but my brother's future baby is looking like it's going to be a boy so I'm in the same dilemma as you and may end up just making a BSJ for nephew. Fortunately, we just found out that some friends were going to be having a baby in March-- let's keep our fingers crossed that at least one of the two will be a girl so that I can have an excuse to knit up the Feb. baby Jacket.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:35 AM  

  • That's a beautiful colour, and the tomten with lime green trim will be beautiful, too. I'm really surprised at this generation of new mothers balking at lacy sweaters for baby boys. Back in prehistoric times (35 years ago!) when my first babies were born, none of us batted an eyelash at lace for tiny boys. I brought both of my first two sons home from the hospital in lacy sweaters I knitted, and they wore them until they grew out of them. I also knitted a February sweater for my brand new grandson. Hey, you young gals - I thought you were more liberated than we were! :-)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:44 AM  

  • it is gorgeous! And i appreciate your need to make it, despite your odds.

    As for boys in lace, my grandfather wore a dress until he was 5! (he was born in 1893) What are people afraid of these days?

    By Blogger Eliza, at 2:29 PM  

  • Beautiful sweater! The aqua is really nice. I'm pretty sure my husband wouldn't have wanted lace for the hypothetical boy we never had, but people DID used to do it without a consideration.

    By Blogger Carla, at 5:27 AM  

  • From a marketing perspective, that's not "lace." that's "openwork."

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:11 AM  

  • I would put any baby in lace (or openwork) in a minute. I think it's sweet.

    Eliza, I love the story of your grandfather! It reminds me of how my grandparents let my dad's blond hair grow long so people would think he was a girl and give them an extra bedroom (they had 5 boys) in the veterans' housing projects.

    By Blogger eudyptula, at 2:59 PM  

  • Lovely little sweater! I think it's the first I've seen in Nature Wool, and it looks great.

    By Blogger Jodi, at 8:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home