Zimmermania

Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Bog Jacket Question

Hi all. I've recently finished knitting a Bog Jacket. Unfortunately, I was a bit over zealous when casting on stitches for the sleeves and now my sleeves are too long. Like 4 inches too long! Any ideas of what I can do? I would just turn them under but they look fat and unsightly. I considered "steeking" the sleeves, cutting off the excess, then tacking down the cut edge to the inside, maybe adding some i-cord trim to hide the "evidence". Anyone ever tried such a thing? Any help you can offer would be much appreciated! Thanks!

6 Comments:

  • I would do exactly as you said and steek the sleeves. You could save the excess for headbands or earwarmers or something....

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:58 PM  

  • Have you tried folding up for deep cuffs; nice when it's cold and you can then unroll them over your hands.

    By Blogger Rebecca Z., at 8:30 PM  

  • I did steek my Isabella sweater when it was too large, and it worked on the cotton-linen yarn. I think that should definitely work on a bog jacket, too. Good luck!

    By Blogger Kelley, at 3:47 AM  

  • I would do as rebecca says and fold up first, because I like the look of a folded four-inch cuff. Alternately I would steek, and then consider knitting a cuff "liner" or "facing" in a smaller/thinner gauge wool (you might need to pick up more than one stitch per loop here) to cover the steek edges. Of course if I did that, then I'd have to do it for other hems. Might be pretty cool in a good conrasty color...

    By Blogger knittingjuju, at 9:43 AM  

  • I had 4 inch too long sleeves on a cardigan I knit earlier this year. I carefully picked up stitches around the bottom of the sleeve about 5 inches up and then cut it the row below my picked up stitches. I ripped out the little excess yarn below the stitches and then knit down to create a 1 inch garter stitch border. It was time consuming but worked perfectly. No one can tell that I cut the sleeves. Good luck.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:18 AM  

  • The bog jacket's sleeves are knit garter stitch where the stitch rows run vertically up the arm -- rather than horizontally around like most sweaters. Does this need to be taken into consideration for the alteration suggestions people are offering?

    By Blogger Mary, at 12:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home