Zimmermania

Friday, November 23, 2007

Baby Leggings



These are footless leggings from Knitter's Almanac in Araucania Ranco Multy on 2.5mm circulars, 344m on a skein and I still have enough left to do a matching pair of socks. The pattern says to cast on 84sts, I swatched and worked out 120sts, Betsy is 22months and doesn't wear a diaper any more so she doesn't have the bulk of a baby but she is obviously bigger. I was working on the theory of taking off about 10% for stretch, she will be wearing them under trousers or a dress when we spend this Christmas in the Alps but they have also proved to be super snuggly for just lounging about in. Knitting from the top down meant that I was able to keep trying them on her and shaping accordingly. As always, really good directions from EZ, might try a pair in self striping yarn next.
I knit these mostly whilst on a day trip to London for the first official UK Stitch'n'Bitch, on the train journey and in a class given by Jean Moss, interestingly she is going to be designing for this yarn label.
Sarah
didyoumakeityourself.com

6 Comments:

  • Those are wonderful! What gauge did you work the Ranco?

    By Blogger Aimee, at 7:07 AM  

  • Thank you, 6sts/inch.

    By Blogger sarah moran, at 7:25 AM  

  • So cute!

    By Blogger Kelley, at 9:18 AM  

  • Those look so cosy! I knit little ones for youngest grandson and now it's cold enough here for them to be worn. I'm hoping his mama likes them so I can knit more for him!!! Your little one is adorable!! Such a sweetheart! samm

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:15 PM  

  • Sarah, they're wonderful! Do you think the wool is too scratchy? I have a niece that could use a pair of these.

    Your babe is so cute!

    By Blogger Rani, at 9:49 AM  

  • Rani,
    They have been washed about half a dozen times and worn way more than that and have so far proved to be toasty and soft but with enough substance to the yarn to be hardwearing. I think the scratchiness depends on the twist and also the quality of the wool, any sock yarn should be fine, I might try a self stripping next.
    Sarah

    By Blogger sarah moran, at 5:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home