Zimmermania

Saturday, November 17, 2007

Seizure Shawl



Hi Zimmermaniacs,
It's been a long time since my last post, I couldn't find my log in details! This is the first of three EZ items that I have to show. I took Elizabeths advice for my summer holiday knitting and took along the Pi shawl, little did I know what the holiday would have in store for me. I knit at the airport and on the plane before my 18 month old daughter passed out and went blue, we touched down in Florida and were whisked off the tarmac straight to hospital where they insisted she had had a seizure. We were stuck in there for three days having tests and at many times I could have cheerfully stabbed some of the doctors/nurses looking after us with my new Addi lace needles. But I knit on in the middle of the night knowing that we would get through this and I would one day look at this shawl and remember the trauma. It turned out that Betsy was absolutely fine, thank God, and we now have what will forever be known as the "Seizure" Shawl.
Knit in Claudia Handpainted, Silk Lace 20/2, 100% Silk. I haven't measured the finished size, 1100 yards on the skein of which I have a tiny bit left, to block I used a 6 metre wire - could have done with a little bit bigger. I would highly recommend a shawl as travel knitting, mindless and good in a crisis!
More at didyoumakeityourself.com
Sarah

4 Comments:

  • Goodness! I'm sure my lace knitting would have been an irretrievable rats' nest if I tried to work through something so scary! I'm so glad little Betsy is okay. I'm sure she'll love having your shawl on hand as a prop when she's old enough to tell her friends the story in a few years!

    By Blogger Sarah / Blue Garter, at 6:02 PM  

  • Well that's helluva story. I'm so glad that your little girl is okay. And your shawl looks fantastic too.

    By Blogger Nettie, at 6:56 PM  

  • Whoa, good for you to have something to distract you while there. It goes to show you, you should never be without your knitting! so glad to hear your daughter is fine!

    By Blogger Aim, at 7:16 PM  

  • Hmmm... I think I may have to experiment with this on a long flight this New Years. Beautifully executed!

    By Blogger Tina - omme i London, at 7:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home