Zimmermania

Thursday, December 06, 2007

A new Bog Jacket

I had some Debbie Bliss Aran Tweed in my stash and it needed a destination. My big daughter wanted a jacket, so a bog jacket it was going to be.

It became a full version: long arms, shoulder shapings, I-cord finishing and once it was finished a very clear case for afterthought pockets. It was pretty scary to cut in the middle of the fabric (this was my first time I made this kind of pocket) but once there was no return I actually thought that this is THE way to make pockets. Happy to have learnt that.


This is halfway in, as so often with EZ, a strangely shaped object and one has to simply belief that it will be all right in the end:-). The red lines is were the waste piece is that is removed when the jacket is grafted together. The grafting was a bit wobbly but not too bad luckily. The shoulder shaping makes that it has a nice fit around the shoulders even though it is a kind of kimono.




This was also a first for complete dark-blue I-cord finishing which I think really lifts it up.

Just a final photo of it being worn...






Labels: ,

6 Comments:

  • I'm so happy to see a bog jacket just now - I have started an adult size but not from the bottom. I'm a little worried that I won't have quite enough yarn to I am knitting it backwards/top down, that is, at the bottom of the sleeves (knitting across one side, then will cast-on for the other side, merge after the neck shaping). Having done one according to the directions, how do you think this will turn out? I think I need to read up on the shoulder shaping.

    By Blogger Diane H, at 8:06 AM  

  • Thanks for posting this. It looks like a wonderful project, and I appreciate your telling about the various things you did.

    By Blogger ejmh, at 8:27 AM  

  • To Diane


    I actually think that should work out just as well. The shoulder shaping i really easy: increases on the back side and decreases on the front but it really makes that the garment fits a lot better. I guess you would need to switch those too (increases on the front, decreases on the back) but that should not be a problem.

    Good luck and I hope you will not run out of yarn!

    By Blogger Marjotse, at 9:53 AM  

  • Are you telling me that the thing in the middle photograph turns out to be the cool finished garmet in the outer two photographs??? Wow!
    Congratulations!

    By Blogger Tamara, at 10:24 AM  

  • Nice job. Hope my bog jacket turns out half as well. Really well done.

    By Blogger Mary, at 10:42 AM  

  • Beautiful bog jacket. I now own the Knitting Around DVD and on it EZ and Meg do the bog jacket. I have some thrifted yarn to start one and that is next on the needles!!
    Thanks for sharing and I love the model and the jacket!

    By Blogger Peg-woolinmysoup, at 11:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home