Zimmermania

Monday, January 14, 2008

BSJ2



After my first baby surprise jacket I knew I had to make another one, it is simply too much fun. So another one was cast-on, this time for a baby to be born during Australia's autumn. I used Socks That Rock heavyweight in Ms la Rock on 4 mm needles. It was very very nice to work with this yarn!

Since I thought that the only problem with the BSJ are the short arm-lengths, this time round I elongated them. I knitted for each arm a piece of 7 ridges and I put the increases which normally come after 6 ridges in these pieces. Then I cast on the middle stitches for the back in between them and continued in the normal pattern. This gives a nice arm-length and is not that hard to do. The only worry I had: do I have enough yarn... It turned out that I had but to have 3 yards as left-over is not much.


I was lucky with the buttons, we have a real haberdashy shop in my town and the have a real excellent selection of buttons. I love these little ones, very nice I think for children items.

I guess if another opportunity comes around I will make another BSJ. In fact my daughter has kindly asked for one for her "build a bear" rabbit and I have a lot of sock yarn left-overs. It just might be that opportunity.....

Labels:

6 Comments:

  • Lovely BSJ! And, the buttons are a great addition, too!

    By Blogger JakkiMitch, at 4:37 AM  

  • Gorgeous BSJ and the buttons are perfect!!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:35 AM  

  • Very pretty - and thank you for the tip on the sleeve-length. I'm just finishing one up myself but may try that for next times. Lydia

    By Blogger Windansea, at 3:34 PM  

  • It's a beautiful specimen, and clever you to figure out the longer sleeves! I've considered picking up around the cuffs to lengthen the ones I've made, but your way is nice and seamless.

    By Blogger Sarah / Blue Garter, at 10:10 AM  

  • I'm a new knitter and very much looking forward to making my very first BSJ. This one is beautiful and thanks for the tip on making the sleeves longer.

    By Blogger Mary, at 10:13 PM  

  • Really lovely yarn for this sweater. One of the things I love about EZ patterns is they are possible to adjust. Nice job on this one!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home