Zimmermania

Saturday, February 09, 2008

Betsy Belle's Bavarian Mittens





Hi Zimmermaniacs,
Maybe went a little far in the Zimmermaniacness, at Christmas we went to Munich and then Berchtesgaden in the Bavarian part of Germany, reading Knitting Around as a travel guide! We stopped at Chiemsee where the Zimmermann family had a summer home and saw lots of garter stitch cardigans which are the Bavarian traditional dress. Miss Belle is modelling her mittens done en-route from some left-over shetland wool from Jamieson & Smith. Louis is modelling his Tomten knit in some donated Sirdar Donegal Tweed, not usually my thing only 45% wool but I was just so pleased to be given it and loved the colour so I broke my own rules. The I-cord cast-off was left over Jeager Extra Fine Merino, and this was my first zip. In the middle is me, Sarah, modelling my super-duper Adult Surprise knit from my Rowanspun Aran on a 5mm needle, I begged fellow knitters for there left overs too! Bavarian holiday pics will be on my blog didyoumakeityourself.com soon.
Sarah

Labels:

7 Comments:

  • Wow, your ASJ is rockin'! I love it in the wide stripes.
    Your little daughter looks well pleased with her sweet new mitties, and the tomten is wonderful. I'm a sucker for tweedy yarns :o) I love the contrast color you used.

    By Blogger Renee, at 1:07 PM  

  • Wow from me too. While I love watching everyone do the Zimmerman patterns, the Baby Surprise just never appealed to me (I think it's the garter stitch)until now. It's so amazing as a long coat like that. the colors work together so well. I'm rethinking my BSJ/ASJ aversion. Wonderful work and great traveling story.

    By Blogger Liz, at 3:50 AM  

  • Great looking ASJ!! How long did you work on it??

    I keep seeing posts in blog world/ on Ravelry re: the mittens. I'm a more than a bit in awe!

    Like the tomten, too. Another project on my 'to-do' list. :-)

    By Blogger JakkiMitch, at 5:55 AM  

  • I agree, all your knitting looks awesome. The little mittens are so sweet (and mini-sized!). Love the tweedy tomten, too. Fits and looks great on your son. Your ASJ!!!! I knew those could look great if knit longer and lengthen sleeves, etc. Yours is one of the best examples I've ever seen in an adult version. Super nice. Great post.

    By Blogger Kathy in DC, at 6:06 AM  

  • Going to Germany and using EZ's book as a guide is certainly not going too far; it's going just far enough!

    Fabu knitting. L-o-v-e the ASJ. Amazing color choices.

    By Blogger ilex, at 1:32 PM  

  • Please add my Wow! to the chorus! What an amazing vacation and resulting EZ knits. Love the ASJ!!

    By Blogger Cathi, at 9:10 AM  

  • I love the adult surprise jacket!!

    By Blogger Abril, at 10:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home