Zimmermania

Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Lloie's Cardigan - in Rosemary



I love my new cardigan, from the 50th anniversary Wool Gathering. It's a special version of the Fair Isle Yoke sweater from Knitting Around. Meg based it on an old photo of Lloie wearing a sweater Elizabeth knitted for her. The biggest challenge was adjusting the stitch count in the yoke to compensate for the extra width I added to the sleeves. (Should not have been that difficult - I was just too intimidated to adjust the Fair Isle pattern. Plus it's my first EPS sweater. I'll be more bold next time.) Learned that my Fair Isle gauge is bigger, not smaller, than straight knitting. Did the crocheted steek as Meg recommended and really liked the result. Yarn is Spindrift. Main color is rosemary. Other colors are eucalyptus, pine forest, flax and natural. Lots of detail on Ravelry. (I'm JudiP53 there, too.) My favorite "personalization" of the pattern was to use a tubular cast-on for the bottom and sleeves.

Labels:

11 Comments:

  • Oooooh, that's gorgeous! Good job!

    By Blogger Aim, at 4:56 PM  

  • Beautiful work and I love your choice of colors. Thanks for showing it to us!

    By Anonymous Petunia, at 5:34 PM  

  • Oooh AND ahhhh! That's beautiful! - Iz

    By Anonymous Izze, at 9:06 AM  

  • absolutely gorgeous!

    By Blogger lulubeans, at 1:14 PM  

  • Simply beautiful!

    By Blogger Karen, at 2:01 PM  

  • I love this! Is the pattern for the yoke in one of EZ's books?

    Joy

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:42 PM  

  • WOW - that's beautiful! I love the shape, colour - everything about it. Well done you!

    By Blogger Tina - omme i London, at 1:13 AM  

  • The sweater is gorgeous and your handwork (knitting w/crochet steeking) is beautifully done.

    By Anonymous Mo, at 4:21 PM  

  • What a triumph--I love it in these colors!

    By Blogger Sarah / Blue Garter, at 4:02 PM  

  • I love your sweater! How did you decide on the fair isle pattern for your yoke? I'm working on the same sweater right now and can't find any yoke patterns I like. I even tried designing my own and haven't had any luck.

    By Blogger jill benson, at 6:22 PM  

  • Jill and Anonymous - it's in Wool Gathering 79. Here's the URL to the Ravelry info on the booklet: http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/lloies-cardigan---wg79

    The pattern is now available separately at School House Press. (WG 79 is out of print.) Here's that URL(scroll down when you get there):
    http://www.schoolhousepress.com/patterns.htm

    Besides the patterns, it contains lots of tips on technique and options. Be sure to check out my notes on Ravelry. One last Web address: http://www.ravelry.com/projects/JudiP53/lloies-cardigan---wg79

    In the original publication, there were errors in the chart. They were easy enough to figure out. I almost always re-draw the chart for anything I'm working on anyhow, so it wasn't a big deal.

    By Blogger Judi P, at 6:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home